Background

The Museum Project represents my most ambitious New Year's resolution of 2010. I moved to Northern Virginia two years ago and, after the initial post-move binge of sightseeing, found that there was still so much of DC that I hadn't taken in. So this is it...I plan to visit all of the museums, monuments, and historical sites in the city over the coming year with a few select spots oustide the district added in for good measure.

Twyla Tharp said "Art is the only way of running away without leaving home"...with the exceptions of tequila and my current obsession with LOST, I think that she was right on the money. My hope is that running away with the Smithsonian will have fewer repercussions than a bottle of Patron.

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Washington Monument

The Monument in March

It was a beautiful spring day today and, having intended to go up the Washington Monument for Washington's birthday last month, I decided to celebrate our first President's birthday a few weeks late.  The Washington Monument was started on July 4, 1848.  After a hiatus for the Civil War and because of the home terrorist actions of the Catholic "Know Nothings" (they stole the stone donated by the Vatican), it was completed December 6, 1884.  The finishing touch on the 555 foot 5 1/8 inch marble tower is an aluminum cap (that also acts as a lightening rod). 

I know it's the most touristy thing to do in Washington, but I loved going up the monument.  With the exception of the fact that the reflecting pool had been drained and the mall lawn was brown, the view was spectacular.   I may have to take another tour around the 500 ft top floor when the spring has fully sprung.

Eastern View

Southern View

Western View

Northern View

No comments:

Post a Comment