Background

The Museum Project represents my most ambitious New Year's resolution of 2010. I moved to Northern Virginia two years ago and, after the initial post-move binge of sightseeing, found that there was still so much of DC that I hadn't taken in. So this is it...I plan to visit all of the museums, monuments, and historical sites in the city over the coming year with a few select spots oustide the district added in for good measure.

Twyla Tharp said "Art is the only way of running away without leaving home"...with the exceptions of tequila and my current obsession with LOST, I think that she was right on the money. My hope is that running away with the Smithsonian will have fewer repercussions than a bottle of Patron.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

GaGa Ooh La La

the shoes


Before this weekend, I was marginally GaGa obsessed.  Seeing her in concert this Friday cemented the obsession.  I flew out to Vegas to rendez vous with my Aunt Bev, Uncle Pat and various members of the Hooper clan for Lady Gaga's concert at the MGM grand.   Preparation for the weekend involved purchase of a spectacular pair of shoes and non-stop listening to GaGa CDs during my work commute this week.


with Bev and Jennie pre GaGa

I do have an actual museum visit to write about, but, if I didn't, the concert itself should have qualified based on the costumes in the crowd alone.  My shoes, lovely as they were, paled in comparison.  The concert itself with its elaborate stage show was amazing.   Best of all was the omnipresent message to be true to yourself...a message embraced by her fans if personal expression through dress is any indication.  Pictures from the show including some of the best costumes that we saw can be found at
http://ladyvirgin.com/gallery.php    under the Las Vegas (8/13) show date.



Fittingly, the current exhibit at the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art is 'Figuratively Speaking: A survey of the human fom'.  The exhibit explores how artists of different periods using various media show the individuality of their subjects.   Pieces ranged from more the more traditional - Degas' studies of dancers - to the unexpected - Yasumasa Morimura's Inner Dialogue with Frida Kahlo.  In the latter, the artist,  who is male and Japanese,  reconstructed one of Kahlo's self portraits using himself as the subject.   The whole show, since it focused on individuals, had a voyeuristic feel to me.  One of the best and most disturbing examples of this was Tony Oursler's video of a human eye showing the subject's reaction to a movie through the movement of his eye.  

Some favorites at the exhibit including Picasso's Woman with Beret, Vik Muniz's Boy with a Pipe and Nick Cave's Soundsuit, left me smiling and visually sated (at least until next weekend).  Vegas Baby, not just for gambling anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment