Background

The Museum Project represents my most ambitious New Year's resolution of 2010. I moved to Northern Virginia two years ago and, after the initial post-move binge of sightseeing, found that there was still so much of DC that I hadn't taken in. So this is it...I plan to visit all of the museums, monuments, and historical sites in the city over the coming year with a few select spots oustide the district added in for good measure.

Twyla Tharp said "Art is the only way of running away without leaving home"...with the exceptions of tequila and my current obsession with LOST, I think that she was right on the money. My hope is that running away with the Smithsonian will have fewer repercussions than a bottle of Patron.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Corcoran Gallery: Turner to Cezanne


I just got back from the sneak preview of the "Turner to Cezanne: Masterpieces from the Davies Collection" exhibit at the Corcoran Gallery (http://www.corcoran.org/).  I am loving the benefits of Corcoran Membership...exhibit preview, getting to wander the Salon Dore and the rest of the permanent collection ALONE, and lemon squares (at least for tonight).



The exhibit displays 53 pieces from the collection of Gwendoline and Margaret Davies, Welsh sisters who collected based on their personal taste not just the styles of the time.  As a result, they amassed a collection of some of the best known realist, impressionist and post-impressionist artists in the late 19th and early 20th century.  The exhibit features works from the National Museum Wales (Amgueddfa Cymru...you have to love Welsh) many of which have never been seen in the U.S.  

Among my favorites: a strikingly violent painting of a tree uprooted in a storm by Millet, a hushed study of St. Mark's in Venice in deep midnight blue by Whistler, one of Monet's water lilies, and a Cezanne landscape with Mont Saint-Victoire in the background.  What stopped me in my tracks was Rain-Auvers by Van Gogh.  I knew that Van Gogh died young, but didn't remember that he was only 37 when he killed himself.  To think that someone in that much pain could create something so beautiful two weeks before he died makes my heart ache.  If only he could have felt how much his paintings would impact other people more than a century later.  Check it out on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumwales/2764545783/

No comments:

Post a Comment