Background

The Museum Project represents my most ambitious New Year's resolution of 2010. I moved to Northern Virginia two years ago and, after the initial post-move binge of sightseeing, found that there was still so much of DC that I hadn't taken in. So this is it...I plan to visit all of the museums, monuments, and historical sites in the city over the coming year with a few select spots oustide the district added in for good measure.

Twyla Tharp said "Art is the only way of running away without leaving home"...with the exceptions of tequila and my current obsession with LOST, I think that she was right on the money. My hope is that running away with the Smithsonian will have fewer repercussions than a bottle of Patron.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Guggenheim Museum - New York

In New York for the weekend visiting friends, I got my museum fix with a quick trip to the Guggenheim http://www.guggenheim.org/.




 Much of the museum was closed because they were between exhibitions but they had small exhibit dedicated to Paris and the Avant Garde that Sam and I could easily fit in between baby Theo's naps.  The exhibit featured about 30 pieces coming out of the Avant Garde movement in the early 20th century in Paris.  The show began with analytic cubist pieces by Picasso and Braque, but moved on to more colorful pieces that came later in the movement.  The pieces selected were, for me, a nice mix of the familiar and beloved (Miro and Calder) and lesser known artists (Albert Gleizes).   As a bonus, we got to walk off the 3 doughnuts eaten from the Doughnut Plant that morning(http://www.doughnutplant.com/) ...creating a square jelly filled doughnut with jelly all the way may not earn a place in the Guggenheim, but qualifies as its own brand of artistic genius.
















                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment