Background

The Museum Project represents my most ambitious New Year's resolution of 2010. I moved to Northern Virginia two years ago and, after the initial post-move binge of sightseeing, found that there was still so much of DC that I hadn't taken in. So this is it...I plan to visit all of the museums, monuments, and historical sites in the city over the coming year with a few select spots oustide the district added in for good measure.

Twyla Tharp said "Art is the only way of running away without leaving home"...with the exceptions of tequila and my current obsession with LOST, I think that she was right on the money. My hope is that running away with the Smithsonian will have fewer repercussions than a bottle of Patron.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Textile Museum

This week I managed to museum and work myself into a bad cold so, although I enthusiastically tackled a few gallerys last weekend, all I've done this week is come home and crawl into bed.  Blogging isn't so fun when you're sick. 

A bottle of Nyquil later I'm feeling up to a quick entry about the Textile Museum.  The Museum is tucked away in D.C.'s Kalorama distict sharing the block with embassies of Myanmar and Costa Rica. 



The museum was founded by George Hewitt Myers in 1925 to display his collection of rugs and fabrics and to educate people about the beauty and importance of textiles. The museum building in the photograph is actually Myers' family home (designed by John Russell Pope). The neighboring building was purchased to allow more space to display the collection.

The day that I went, the museum was hosting a sold out fashion show of Harajuku Japanese Street Fashion. From the disappointed looks on the faces walking through the door, I was not the only one who didn't get tickets. The museum staff generously let me (along with about 20 teenage girls rocking DCs own street fashion) watch the models come through the lobby on the way to the show...the bride dressed all in black lace, the model in the red and black tulle skirt with red axe carried as an accessory...all were great, but frankly I think that the girls in the audience blew them all away. One cute girl had the de rigeur striped knee socks and miniskirt along with a teeny, tiny top hat set at a jaunty angle. My favorites were Bridget and Emma who came with Emma's Mom for the show. The hair clips, the rainbow gloves AND socks...they looked amazing.



In addition to the fashion show, the museum had two exhibits.  One, on innovations in textiles, examined the use of texture, metal and unusual items such as feathers in modern textiles.  The other, a collection of clothing, displayed pieces from Issey Miyake, Yohji Yamamoto, and Rei Kawakubo.  Both are short exhibits that you could easily fit in on a lunch hour, but worth the trip (even if you miss out on Bridget and Emma).


Coming soon...the Portrait Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment